Thread: Ich??
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 04:39 PM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road

If you have confirmed you have an ich issue in your tank, read up as much as you can on it. Remember "know thy enemy"

My favorite cure is as follows.

Head on down to your local supermarket and pick up a bottle of garlic extract for about 5 bucks. Soak your fishes favorite food in the extract. My 2 favorites are marine flake and nori. They just soak up the extract very well. I use a plastic lid to place food on and then pour the extract on it. After food has absorbed the extract dip it into the tank. The extract is also a hell of a lot easier than spending your day crushing garlic cloves

Do this every day and continue to do so for a period of about 6-8 weeks after (and I repeat) after you last see any signs of ich on your fish. Ich has a life cycle of around 28 days (I believe) and your goal is to completely eliminate it from your tank. Continuing the treatment for double the life cycle increases your odds of eradicating the pest.

Also changing things around in your tank may have stressed your fish and this may be the original source of the outbreak. Ich has a hard time attaching to a healthy happy fish as their defenses are in top shape.
Keep your fish at the best health you can and watch for a slip in appetite.
If your fish refuses to accept medicated food, perhaps a fresh water dip may be in order.

As I stated when I opened, this is my favorite method. Other more knowledgeable folks here may have different or better options for you.