View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
Ok well lets take a look at it for a sec.

Looking at the top of the collection cup this type looks like a Barr Aquatics earlier edition.
The Mag 18 is a good pump but does give some head problems. Mag pumps don't like the back pressure from what I have seen had owned. However they do a good job.
the thing about becketts is its a hungry house meaning that you need lots of power to run those skimmers to get them to fire out the skimmate. Becketts love MAK 4,5's Iwaki's pumps so pressure pumps where the power is great and the push is awesome. Hope you understand what I just stated.

and comparing this to a vertex 280 you can't the vertex 280 is a POS, POC skimmer compared to any beckett. you have raw power coming from the mag 18 and its pushing all that water through 4 x 1/8" holes for each beckett holder. and the Vertex 280 is just using a simple water level to suck water through a venturi impeller and pushing it up.

I hpe this answers your question that you posted.

BARR Aquatics or a earlier MRC but if it doesn't have the MRC then I would go with a BArr Aquatics.
OK, thanks. Never heard of a Barr Aquatics and can't get through to their website now. But will keep searching the web for pics. The closest I could ever find is MRC, as you say, but again no exact match pics on the web. Was always curious to know what the tank capacity rating was.

I used the Mag 18, just because I had it as spare, and seems to do the job.

Tend to agree with you about the In-280. Hard to get dialed in exactly and very picky on the water level. Doesn't take much to get it overflowing. And have to clean the neck and cup every 3 or 4 days (about once a month for the beckett). But at least that is very easy on the Vertex, with just lifting off the cup part, with nothing to unscrew.