View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 03:19 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
OK, here is a good test for you. Been trying to find out the brand or origin for this skimmer for some time, but no luck. It is a dual beckett and works pretty good. Has a gate valve on the exit, so easy to control the level. I have a mag 18 driving it. Produces as much skimmate or more than my Vertex In-280 which I use on my other tank. Only downside is the beckett one takes a lot more power. Advantage is that the neck and cup needs less cleaning with all the air and bubbles that go through there. But the gunk that ends up in my collection bottle is as stinky and thick as ever.

It is an old one, though, and can't find any clue to what brand it is.
Ok well lets take a look at it for a sec.

Looking at the top of the collection cup this type looks like a Barr Aquatics earlier edition.
The Mag 18 is a good pump but does give some head problems. Mag pumps don't like the back pressure from what I have seen had owned. However they do a good job.
the thing about becketts is its a hungry house meaning that you need lots of power to run those skimmers to get them to fire out the skimmate. Becketts love MAK 4,5's Iwaki's pumps so pressure pumps where the power is great and the push is awesome. Hope you understand what I just stated.

and comparing this to a vertex 280 you can't the vertex 280 is a POS, POC skimmer compared to any beckett. you have raw power coming from the mag 18 and its pushing all that water through 4 x 1/8" holes for each beckett holder. and the Vertex 280 is just using a simple water level to suck water through a venturi impeller and pushing it up.

I hpe this answers your question that you posted.

BARR Aquatics or a earlier MRC but if it doesn't have the MRC then I would go with a BArr Aquatics.