View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the post op.
Conscientious reefers start with the premise that we want to provide the optimum conditions for the tangs we decide to remove from their sea home. I believe you are one of us.

Tangs are swimmers. They spend their whole day swimming from one end of the tank to the other. Those who have kept tangs in a small four foot tank and mived them to a larger tank have really noticed the difference.

The solution is to simply wait until you have a suitably sized tank. Some reefers try to justify their purchase because it is a small immature tang. The poster who has a sailfin in his small tank will soon see exactly how fast that tang grows. Because it is an easier tang we often see it grow to pie plate
Unfortunately yellow tangs are often seen in small tanks not because it is large enough. We see them because they are common, cheap and often a reefs first tang.
The kole tang, very beautiful and very personable is suitable because the kole kind of hangs around rather than actively swimming.
No acanthrus species should be placed in a tank smaller than six feet because of their size and very active swimming behaviour.

The above information is shared with you not for the purpose of creating a dump on the tang police thread but for the purpose of sharing with you my own experience of 20 yearsthe experience of tang keepers, and what I have learned and read. And, as was pointed out, I read every tang thread everywhere

Grizz when you get a 300 try a vlamingi.