View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road
Default question regarding tangs and tank size

this question is not to point fingers or start a debate

It is mearly intended to gain some insight on the situation .

I am a severe newbie when it comes to SW tanks and fish . I am currently building my first 110gallon .. semi cube 36x28x25h

Question

Tangs .
I am really trying to tell myself that I should not be getting any tangs whatsover due to my tank size .. My longest run is 36" .

But I am incorporating a minimilst approach to my rock work . There is an extreme amount of open space in my tank , So thus i am wondering if a Yellow and PB tank would be acceptalbe if purchased very small >?

And ive done hours of reading that say never buy a fish that can outgrow your tank.

heres the problem .
I see lots of pictures of TOTM with tangs in small tanks. I also see tangs in very large tanks (6ft long ) with so much rock work that the fish can barly swim down the front pane of glass.

I have also seen 6ft tanks with like 5 or more tangs in the same tank .

I Just wonder why there seems to be this blanket rule for tangs when it comes to 6 ft and shorter tanks, But 6 feet and above is open season on cramming them in there

I would like to possibly have a TOTM in the future .Thus i would like to follow the responcible fish keeping trends that appear to be the norm .

(Essentially Any cube tank should never have a tang .. )

Just this tang buisness has got me all worked up

sorry for the rant .
all thoughts would be appreciated
Jon