View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM

somewherebeyondthesea is on a distinguished road

My family has been involved with triploid rainbow trout, and we had a great experience, with these.

I can see both sides have valuable arguments. Just like any GMO product they will never be able to match that of organic food IMO. And it seems that GMO products have less nutritional value than that of organic foods.

I could see how this would help sustain depleting fisheries. This is a reoccurring problem. The main argument we had for keeping triploids was that we couldn't have wild caught as they could "in the event of a flood or bird of prey picking up and dropping off said specimen into another body of water" could severely effect that ecosystem.

I would argue that even though they couldn't spawn, they would get large enough much faster say if you had a juvenile schools of fish in that lake/river.
You could argue that this is similar to the chicken and beef industry in that they use similar methods to mass produce foods.

If you're interested in a more hippie approach to it I would contact "save the reef" from PADI? They have interesting arguments and programs that look after protecting wildlife in our oceans. They may have some investing points on salmon.

Cheers,

Steve