View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 AM

425nm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I had heard that they were planning to raise them in pens in the Caribbean. Less environmental laws and incredibly cheap labour rates. As an added bonus the fish would grow faster in the warmer water. If they thought the lionfish epidemic was bad in the Caribbean these fish would make them look like delicate eaters once they got out of the pens and started breeding.

I suspect this would devastate the farmed salmon industry in Canada when all the companies moved to Central America.

I personally don't eat farmed Atlantic Salmon as I prefer wild Coho or Sockeye. I also don't like that they load the fish up with artificial colouring to make the flesh turn orange. Orange fleshed salmon sells much better than white fleshed salmon.
Current "draft" with the FDA is that the folks in PEI produce sterile (triploid) all female eggs which will be sold to one facility in Panama (that meets FDA standards) where they will be raised in a freshwater flow through system. No live transgenic fish is to enter the United States.
Not sure how the FDA plans to inspect/enforce across borders.
Problem with farming salmon is that they need to eat other fish. So it solves nothing. Plus is cranks out tons of nitrogen into surrounding water.