View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 AM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

Almost ready to fill with water!

Here is a pretty detailed run down of what I did to attach panels to the back of the stand. I'm posting it because I hope it helps someone else out with their build at some point.

Back panel with magnets in each corner. Slots cut out for the plumbing.

Close up of counter sunk magnet. The magnet is superglued and screwed to the panel. I got them at Lee Valley.

Acrylic disk on top of magnet.

Panel attached to the back of the stand. Plumbing is supported with hose straps on the back (not shown).

How I ended up plumbing the DC5000 pump. I would have preferred something "cleaner", but the vinyl tubing may help dampen pump noise.

The pump is sitting on top of a silicone trivet. The DC5000 actually comes with great rubber feet, and I can't even tell the difference between the pump running with and without the trivet beneath it, so I may remove it.

Anyways pros/cons to using magnets:

Pro: Really easy to install. Easy to change skin if you want. Inexpensive (~$2/magnet).

Con: The panel has to rest on the floor. Magnets can resist pulling forces, so the panel is firmly kept upright, but the panel slides downwards until it hits the floor as the magnet does not strongly resist up/down slide forces.

Thanks for reading!