View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM

Stones is on a distinguished road

I also own a RSM 130D and agree with what everyone above has already stated.

The stock skimmer is crap. Not because it doesn't perform well as a skimmer but rather because it sounds like a 70s muscle car with an agressive cam and non restrictive exhaust. Seriously I couldn't hear my TV over the constant drone that the stock skimmer put out. Ended up replacing it with a Hydor Nano slim skim and couldn't be happier.

The stock lighting also leaves alot to be desired. Who uses power compacts in this day and age? I ended up swapping out the 2 x 55 PC lights with 52 x 3 watt bridgelux LEDS and am now fairly happy with the light output.

You do pay a huge premium for what you really get. With that said though, it is very nice to have an all in one tank look so sleek. One of the best features of these tanks is that they have an American DJ like powerbar with individual switches for all of the components in the tank so you only need 1 cord running from the tank to an outlet.

The factory return pumps also don't provide enough flow for the 34 gallon so I can only imagine that they would not even be close enough to suffice for the RSM 250. You'll definately be needing additonal powerheads for flow.

Something to consider as well, Red Sea already has a newer model of the RSM series in the works called the S-line. These will boast a much better T5 lighting system as well as built in auto top off reservoir as some of the major improvements. Might be worth waiting for as the lighting is one of the major drawbacks on the current RSM 130 and 250 systems.

http://youtu.be/oIX5UjITQ3k

Last edited by Stones; 01-07-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added link to S-line youtube video