View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 PM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road

As a sick child, I spent A LOT of time in the hospital back in the day that parents were not permitted in the room outside of visiting hours. And now, as my health deteriorates, most of my days are spent in bed. As a result, I got into aquariums and fishkeeping.

So my perspective isn't "practical" in the traditional sense but the power of an aquarium on a persons' well being is tremendous. Instead of focusing inward on the pain or suffering, I'm able to focus outward on the beauty of aquatic life.

Regardless of the equipment for physical needs, people tend to lose focus on the mental needs of the patient. The tension is high in these units from both the staff and parents. The child, unknowingly, feeds off of that stress causing actual physical harm to the healing process.

I support an aquarium for the peace of mind of the patient. Does it need to be 600 gallons? I don't know. I wish smaller tanks could be maintained in each of the rooms so that a child could redirect their thoughts outwards instead of inwards.

While it is heartwarming to see the wonderful cartoons and vistages painted on the walls of the rooms, it is entirely another thing to see and interact with a living biosphere.

Sometimes we chose utility over art only to forget that art has its' utility too. Best of luck with your project and it is a worthwhile venture.