View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 09:49 PM

turbo is on a distinguished road
Default so here is my sump design

Hello all, again.

More than a week has passed but I've finally decided what I'm going to do for this sump and tank drain system.

For anyone who's still subscribed to this thread, recall that I had attempted to tee the two main drainpipes into a single 1" vinyl tube, which I was going to pump 100% of the volume through an old, partially broken skimmer, before having it drain into a 10 gal sump and get pumped back up to my tank.

Not such a hot idea right.....?

Anyways, after more hours and hours of reading, and consulting some members on this site, I've designed a sump for my cabinet. Since the dimensions of my cabinet are already specified, I had to get a custom tank built or else I could go no larger than 10gal due to the width restriction.

This tank I have designed holds close to 30gal, which I believe is a much better fit for a 55gal FOWLR. I've also opted to run both drains from the overflow to the sump, and not tie them together ...

This custom tank is already bought and paid for and it's being built. So it's a little late for me to change anything!! But I would love to get some feedback (from a variety of people) on this.

N.B. flow rates are approximate!! the skimmer and pump have not been purchased yet

here's the cabinet i built