View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 05:04 PM

turbo is on a distinguished road
Default re super filtered water

yeah that's the first bit... a RO/DI filter is on the "wish list" hahaha

We're using SeaChem alpha for reefs to dechlorinate the water. I'm just filling 5 gal pails in the tub at the slowest flow rate (i.e. coldest water) possible.

Anyways I'm just sort of working on my sump right now. The burning question I have is whether a single pump setup is appropriate? I really want to keep it simple with the plumbing. This tank and setup will always be FOWLR.

So my idea is this: there is a way oversized overflow box (eshopps Pf-1200) hanging off the side of the tank right now just waiting on a little more plumbing. Anyways, I'm thinking of letting it gravity drain into the intake on my protein skimmer (Weipro SA-2015), and then run a small hose from the spigot into chamber 1 (10 gal sump with 3 chambers). I'm going to pack the rest of my LR into the middle chamber and then I have a pump called HQB-2500 (2000 L/h) which I'll put in chamber 3, and this will go directly back to the DT.

So I guess the theory is that since the overflow box exceeds the pump, and since the pump matches the skimmer (actually it's a little small), I should be able to run the pump full blast and the whole system should operate smoothly riiiiiighht??? haha

I did put a ball valve on the return line. I've read a lot that people suggest you add a tee into the drain before it gets to the skimmer, but that's if your drain exceeds the flow capacity of the skimmer (it must be), which mine does not.... so I have no tee. Instead, I figure that the one ball valve should control all flow rate since there is only the one pump!