View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

Hey there. Just like to start out by saying NICE TANK! Smart idea with the stand as well. It looks pro. To the Herbies. There's a happy spot you'll have to experiment to find. Every system is a bit different due to flow rates and weir heights. I found with mine that keeping the overflow water level higher it would make it quieter. Also I'm not sure if you're using fresh or saltwater in your test but things will change with saltwater and once the pipes start to 'slime up'. I ended up with some enkamat in the back of my overflow to help keep everything quieter as well. Are you using two drains as primary and one as an emergency? Once set up, you may have to have your primary drain 3-4 inches lower then your emergency just to get a decent head pressure above the drain. Once you cut your primary drain down lower the overflow should fill above the drain pipe at least an inch or two to keep the suction/gurgling sound away. Its all about throttling and matching the flow of your return pump. Herbies are great and I wouldn't go any other way. Just some set up involved.

Also if you want to chat a bit more in depth about it or you have any further questions shoot me a pm and I'd be glad to call you or vice versa

Last edited by Skimmin; 12-13-2012 at 06:08 AM.