View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 PM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

Hello again
I am not trying to be secretive in the least about my quarantine process..I appreciate the oppurtunity to clarify my position

the quarantine process allows a few things.
First, I am currently treating my quarantine systems with a very rigidly controlled and frequently tested therapeutic level of cupramine to ensure disease control.
I have struggled to find the most viable way to quarantine.
Thanks to Aquattro's suggestions, I am doing more research into chloroquine phosphate as a viable option.
However, there are some limitations to its use as well and I am trying to get more answers. Hence the current use of cupramine in my quarantines.
I started out using hyposalinity. However, the process is too long of a time period to be effective and it is not effective against marine velvet

Further, if the system has any fish that have an unrecognized disease or there is excessive amounts of death in that system, I will not sell anything from that system until there has been stability or lack of any sign of serious disease for at least 2 weeks.

As well, beyond disease control, every fish in my store eats. If I have not physically seen the fish eat, it will not be in the store.

In a couple of instances I have sold people fish shortly after their arrival it has been at the request of the customer and they received a reduction of price accordingly.

Overall, in the first two weeks of a fish landing from overseas, I would estimate about 25 percent of those fish die within the first 2 weeks.
Therefore, by holding the fish for those 2 weeks, I am absorbing the cost of the fish that will die within that period, verses the customer having them die in their tanks.

For your other concerns:
I didn't state that I didn't want to take the risk. I am completely self-employed and know all about risk.
I am not starting a "true" storefront, not because of risk, but because I can't commit to such a venture, as I have another business to run.
I have over 40 grand invested in this fish business as it sits right, all of which came from me..not a bank because they don't like self-employed individuals.
Those who aren't self-employed may not realize as to how difficult it is get money from anyone when you don't have a set paycheck.
Self-employed individuals have an almost impossible time receiving any financing thru banks and grants are near impossible to receive for a venture such as this.

As for unfair competition:
I gutted my basement of its one bedroom apartment to start this business at loss of 1000.00 per month in rent.
When you consider I have only about 600 square(if that) of usable space, I am actually paying more per foot for my store than my shop where I store my limos.
My other operating expenses are on line with other vendors as I still have to pay electricty, etc.
Even without taking into account of the rent, my current revenue is certainly not covering the cost of the livestock and operating expenses or even close.
Hopefully, in the future as my customer base will grow, and I will actually be able to make some return on my investment.

As for the fine line, I can ensure you that I was totally upfront of my intentions of my business when I applied for my business permit and it fits well within the legal boundaries as set forth by the City of Edmonton.

I realize that we probably aren't going to see on the same page on this debate of home-based businesses.
But I hope I did address your concerns as much as i could beyond me closing the doors for good.

thanks again for the input.
Neal

Last edited by howdy20012002; 12-05-2012 at 09:18 PM.