View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 04:38 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Reef View Post
Thank you for sharing. I really like your methodical approach in sharing your new build... With regards to the Mitras can you tell me if the spread is as good as they advertise and is the blending of the lights anywhere close to resembling the t5s as the pictures from what I have seen so far are hard to tell. I have had the chance to see some very nice tanks using t5s and i have not seen any LED lights (IMO) so far being able to mimic t5 lighting.

If they are the real deal would you hang two lights length wise parallel to the display or width wise like how you have them set up on your tank?

Thanks

Wayne
The spread is huge on these fixtures, you could cover my tank with two fixtures (64x32) but I feel three is better number given the depth (32) and the demand required for an SPS dominant tank. There's a picture of a 40" x 40" tank with a single fixture given complete coverage. I'm not going to reconfigure my fixtures for a demonstration, too much work would be required in regards to mounting given some limitations I have on space above.

I think I've mentioned color blending a few times now. In regards to comparing to T5s, not sure it can be done. They are completely different and offer more similarities to Halides than T5s. The lack of optics and larger spread design does reduce spotlight and shimmer effects compared to other LED fixtures so perhaps the Mitras is what you're looking for but maybe not. If T5s are really what you like then why not run T5s?