View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 02:38 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Yeah about three weeks now.

Color is really good, definitely comparable to metal halides and there is zero disco effect. I've seen the disco effect in Radions, the GHLs are substantially better.

I do have new growth starting in SPS colonies and frags I've recently acquired, unless you run them side by side with another light source it'll be hard to find direct comparison results as far as growth goes. The bottom line is these do definitely grow coral. I still run them pretty low as far as output goes as well, I'll be cranking them up shortly. I also still need to get my Ca reactor tuned better to match the tank, Alk is currently pretty high so conditions aren't optimal yet.

The one I really like is that everything in the tank is happy, SPS holding color, soft corals fully expanded, LPS corals fully expanded with good color. Plus the tank is 32" deep and I have some SPS pretty low, montipora is even currently on the sand bed and doing well. This has definitely not been the case for me with previous lighting, it's almost like I can put things anywhere and they do well. I think it comes down to a very even light distribution.

I did take a few snapshots of pretty much all the SPS when first introduced so I will be able to present growth shots down the road.

Last edited by sphelps; 12-03-2012 at 02:41 PM.