View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizerBunoi View Post
I will have a total of about 75 gallons of net water in the sump and display. If my skimmer is rated for 80 - 120 gallons and I have a very low bioload (2 false percula clownfish), would my skimmer be good enough?
It depends what brand it is. There are a lot of poorly designed skimmers out there and many manufacturers hugely overrate their skimmers' abilities. Generally, the better brand of skimmers aren't overrated as much as cheaper brand skimmers. Personally, I like to get a good brand of skimmer that is rated for about double the capacity of my aquarium. I have a SWC 180 Cone on my 90-gallon (plus 15 in sump) reef which is rated for 150-gallons heavily stocked and 250-gallons lightly stocked. I like how this skimmer performs on my tanks' size. I have an SWC 120 Cone on my 50-gallon (plus 8 in sump) reef which is rated for 55-gallons heavily stocked and 90-gallons lightly stocked. I feel this skimmer is at the top of its ability on my 50-gallon, and think it would be best on a 40-gallon reef.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 12-02-2012 at 01:44 PM.