View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by molotov View Post
Hey Mike,

Your the one that gave me the idea for the gravity feed. I liked the idea that you don't have to depend on electrical float switches sticking or pumps failing or what ever else.

I also paid about $10/float valve from BRS. At $10 per float I have no problem replacing them every year whether they need replacing or not.

So far this system has been 100% reliable for me.
Glad to hear it's working for you with no issues. May as well add that the photo I posted is fairly old. I actually shortened the float by one chamber & it still works fine. These humidifier valves are not sealed, they simply have a hollow bottom with 4 chambers, one of which I cut off because it's in my display & less intrusive when shortened. If you're using it in a sump & visual pollution is not an issue, then you don't need to do this, you'll get a little more leverage with all 4 chambers intact to ensure a good seal when the sump is topped off. I use the valve in a modified gravity setup where I pressurize a carboy to push the water to the display using an air pump, so it's unlikely for me to over top off. Gravity feed does have the potential to over top off, so it's a good idea to size your top off container so that it won't be a total disaster in the unlikely event the mechanical valve leaks.

Last edited by mike31154; 11-18-2012 at 02:19 AM.