View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

High grade stainless will take quite some time to break down but as far as frag racks or holders go, the plastic ones recommended in this thread are a better bet. I use a pair of low quality stainless forceps to pull algae & do other periodic tasks in my tank & although they're showing signs of starting to corrode, I haven't noted any adverse effects on my livestock. I doubt that a little iron is going to do much harm, it's not copper & after all, people run GFO (granulated ferric oxide) to absorb phosphates from their tank water. Ferric pretty much means iron. Also, if anyone runs an internal return pump, particularly a Mag, be advised the screws holding the volute to the pump are stainless steel. I ran one of these for quite a while on a Remora C skimmer & although the screws discoloured, they didn't really corrode. A little bit of rubbing got them shiny again pretty quick.

Anyhow, as mentioned, for something to hold chaeto, the plastic option is probably just as easy to find, cheaper & will work just as well.