View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 04:50 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizerBunoi View Post
Thanks for the response. If I went down to a 75 gallon, I don't think my maintenance would be much easier would it?

Maintenance consists of
- cleaning the glass (worst part as I hate using the long scrapers, they take forever, especially if you are trying not to scratch the tank or take any silicone off on the corners)
- cleaning the socks (3 of them at one time)
- emptying protein skimmer
- change carbon
- water tests
- water change

I'm wondering if going to a smaller tank like a 40 breeder would work out better. I could go with two AI Sols instead of the 6 bulb T5.
Not really sure the maintenance would be any less on a smaller tank. I have a canister filter on my 55, no skimmer. Takes me about 20 minutes to clean the cf, change the media, hook back up, plus the time it takes to empty and refill for a water change - I typically do 15-20 gls at a time every 2 weeks. So total time is maybe 30-35 minutes. Also daily top ups.

Filter socks - I rinse then throw in the washer, hang to dry (these are on my 180).

Cleaning the glass - I just did a good scraping on the 180, first time since I set it up in March, took maybe 1/2 hour - 45 mins. Wiping the glass down daily or every other day. I didn't use the handle, just the blade, felt like i had more control anyway, but as the tank is 2' tall, I was on my tiptoes to reach the bottom, standing on a chair. I didn't mind as the end result looks awesome!!

I'm not sure what you are trying to reduce as you would still have to maintain, maybe just less water to move around.