View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

BUILD:

The tank looked like this when I bought it:

The overflow wasn’t going to work for me. Only having a single hole on the back pane was a little unnerving. So I called Denny and Dave for some new holes! They came over and drilled two new 1” bulkhead holes in the middle for a herbie setup (thanks a ton!). The ¾” hole on the left will be the return like, and the 1” hole on the right, originally meant for the drain, will be plugged with a bulkhead to be made into something else in the future.

Then I really lucked out. While talking about the overflow I was about to build, Denny mentioned that the frag tank that I sold him a week or so earlier got smashed, and he actually ended up salvaging the overflow from it. It already had the black acrylic, and was all together. So I snatched that up and silicone it into place.

Lastly, I gave it a fresh coat of Blue Krylon Fusion for the background.

Stand will be skinned with panels and painted the same color as the walls/trim.

Stripped the closet behind the kitchen for the sumps/ATO. Have to mud/sand and paint the drywall still, and continue the waterproof floor paint into the closet.

Here is the LED light rack I built. It is roughly the same size as the tank. This will go into a wood floating canopy hung from the ceiling. I have yet to build the canopy. I might just hire someone to make it look good, as my wood finishing skills are not good at all. I can frame stuff up, but making it look good after that is difficult.

Lights on at about 80% (white and blue)

60 Gallon Sump – Still needs 2 coats of background paint…I ran out…then got lazy.

And the brand new Bubble Magus Curve 7 Protein Skimmer - Can’t wait to fire this guy up.

I also picked me up some American DJ 8 switch powerbars to help with automation and maintenance. I love these things!

Here is a rough layout of the sump closet

More to come!

They call it addiction for a reason...