View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough
Default 50 Gallon Waterfall Lagooooon

I've always absolutely loved the Konolua Volcano tank. My brother walked by me one day while I was looking at the website for this tank (http://www.konolua.com/RSS/Volcano_Tank/Volcano_Tank.html) and he said "I want that". And let me tell you... so do I! So with joint funding and my skills, I'm putting one together. Tank is in my kitchen, and the sump/mixing station will be housed in the closets behind the wall. Since my job will be leaving me two weeks in Huston at a time starting in January, the brother ok’d looking after it now that he is getting into the hobby! Wooo whoooo! Even though I don’t get to start up my dream SPS system that I wanted to, this little guy will have to do until I’m home permanently.

The inspiration behind the build:

DETAILS:

Tank:

50 Gallon shallow tank - 44"L X 22"W X 12"H - Eurobraced, painted blue background, center overflow with 2 X 1” holes for a herbie drain, 1 X ¾” return, and 1 X 1” random hole on right side that will be plugged with a bulkhead.

Stand:

Custom built stand – 2X4’s in the typical overbuilt form. The bottom of the stand has a sheet of plywood that is completely sealed with black liquid rubber in case of plumbing leaks. I will have custom skins made soon.

Sump Closet and Mixing Station:

Sump –

Custom 60 Gallon: 42L X 20W X 18H ish..– 3 compartments

20 Gallon 1st stage drain/skimmer/water change tank 24”L X 18”W X 12”H

Mixing station –

2 X large Rubbermaid Brutes
BRS 6 stage Chloramines deluxe RO unit
Mag 24 mixing/transport pump.

Equipment:

Skimmer – Bubble Magus Curve 7
Flow – 2 X MP10WES
Return Pump – Danner Mag 12
Heater – 1 X 300W Jager, 1 X 175W Jager
2 X TLF media reactors

Lighting:

Custom LED build –
Aluminum U-channel heat sinks
16 Bridgelux 3W LED strips (6 LED’s per strip) -
8 RB and 8 10K
2 power supplies
2 controllers that dim LED’s, control timing, and control fans when it reaches a specified temperature

They call it addiction for a reason...