View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road
Default Discussion - Bigger tanks are easier for the beginner, True or False?

I think there is an accepted truth that bigger tanks are easier to keep and more suitable for beginners. I think this statement is false and I want to discuss it here. What are your opinions?

I think the myth that larger tanks are more stable and less prone to crashing is just not true. The problems and circumstances that could cause a tank to crash occur regardless of size.

In fact I argue that nano tanks are easier to recover if a problem happens. Smaller more frequent water changes, smaller amounts of carbon, easier to increase flow in an emergency.

Maintenance of nano tanks is far lighter, quicker and less costly which for the beginner means more likely they will stay with the hobby. If I was a retailer I would convince all new marine enthusiasts to by a nano first. If they can handle a nano and learn what it takes to successfully keep a marine system they will probably come back and purchase something bigger *and* be more successful in the hobby overall.

The problem is this myth that larger marine tanks are easier is perpetuated by the LFS because they want the big sales that come from large tanks. I know this to be true because I worked at an LFS for five years.

So discuss. Am I wrong?