View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 02:51 PM

Seth81 is on a distinguished road

Just thought I would update this with a few things I have learned from running my DIY lights for a while now.

1. UV and True Violet LED's bring out a little bit of extra color, and at night I can make the tank glow purple instead of blue...but IMO don't seem to be worth it if I were going to be doing it over.

2. Running XML's at 2.8 amps is a difficult venture. I was using thermal tape, becuase it can be removed if necessary, however at 2.8Amps the star PCB's tend to get hot enough to make the Thermal tape adhesive start to let go, and if nothing else is holding the PCB against the heat sink...prepare for burnt out LED's! I have burnt out at least 5 XML's because of this thermal tape and am now going with arctic silver compound for a more permanent bond. Also a heat sink fan is 100% necessary!

3. I really like the Color I get with Warm White and Cool white mixed. Cool white by itself is missing something, and warm white by itself does not look good.

4. I do like the amount of Royal blue LED's I have. With my whites fully on I can still get a nice color. And for night time I have to cut back my blues to about 65%

5. If you are troubleshooting LED's do not attempt to trouble shoot while your LED driver is energized!! I burnt out an entire bank of LED's this way.

I will be adding a 5th CW led per LED strip, mostly becuase I can...so why not? Ha ha ha...