View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefbyremote View Post
The reason I asked the question is that understand some stores that have the fish arrive today/tonight after their long journey from overseas, acclimatize them to their (sometimes low SG) tanks, leave them in darkness overnight, and sell them the next day. Unfortunately my experience with this is not positive. I can understand the need to have cash flow, but I find that approach borderline cruel and imagine losses are high.

But maybe they all do that with a few exceptions like the old Red Coral in Lethbridge. They used to hold the fish for me for a week.
My experience has been pretty great with this approach. I think how the store acclimates is more important. That said, my LFS will hold a fish for me, but it's in a smaller display tank with who knows what else for fish. Depending on species, I'd even prefer to take the bag home.
I've often helped unpack orders, and when I go back the next day, almost 100% of the fish I unpacked are fine and swimming around, most eating. Far from cruel and no losses, other than the occasional and expected death.
I have seen other store owners just dump the bag into the display, and that results in very high losses, but the store I deal with, and I'm pretty sure the others in town here, all take a lot of time and care acclimating new fish.