Thread: Quarantine Tank
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 09:43 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

The best way is to have plenty of cured liverock in your sump and if you QT a fish you use that liverock in the quarantine tank. If you don't need to treat with copper, it will be enough to keep the QT tank healthy.

If you do need to treat with copper, you will need to remove the liverock and monitor ammonia, then do water change as you need.

The only time you will need to treat with copper is if you get a fish with velvet. For brooklynella and ich, Seachem Paraguard work well and there is no need to remove the liverock, and no ammonia problem.

I treat my fish with Paraguard for one hour dip on arrival, before putting them in the QT, then I treat with Paraguard in the tank for a few weeks, then I treat with Prazipro for a week.

That's what I did for my copperband and he's really healthy 2 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molotov View Post
Hello All. I'm currently in the process of setting up my quarantine tank and need some advice. I have a 20Gal and all the basics including a fluval 105. My question is this. Should I run a cycled Qt or an uncycled QT? The fluval comes with carbon and biomax. I was thinking of placing the sponges and biomax in my sump and then add them to the filter. Another option would be to run the fluval amonia remover and carbon and not cycle the QT.

Does anyone else use a fluval canister or have experience?

Not sure which option might work best. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.