View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
all, because I want to se in the future how far I can bring it, to put the tank on solar (by using some e-bay panels.

than there is only the light and the heating, where the heating probably will never run on solar, duo to the draw, but even the LED, over time could run on solar.

for me now, the way I have it, it ias working gust fine, but I would wonder wht there are not more that are exploring les powerful options
I have a flat roof so I've also been thinking of trying to run my main display off solar power. I have an electronic's guru friend who built my LED system for me (and is building version two when he eventually has time from working crazy hours). He is going to teach me how to build 64w DIY solar panels for under $150 each. If I go solar-crazy (being OCD its very likely), I will set up solar panels on the roof for my tank(s) and panels on my pergola to power my greenhouse and deck lights eventually.

Good luck with your solar project.

In the past year, with the changes in pumps, skimmer, powerhead and LED lights, my tank consumes almost exactly a quarter of the electricity it used to. Compared to my 210g reef, consumption is about a fifth of what it used to be.

Great to see someone do this kind of build. BTW, what's your LED lighting specs?

Anthony