View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 01:01 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags View Post
Bet they make for an interesting aquarium - that being said, while the blue spot is a great fish, unless you run your tank colder than a typical reef it will likely share a similar fate as those in most other tanks.........as they come from colder waters they are very susceptible to skin infections which often prove fatal. A fish best left in the ocean IME, not unlike some anthias species. Good luck with him! cheers.
+1 This is something I just recently learned about blue spot jawfish, so wish I had of known before I bought the one I had. The one I had was eating great and did very well for a month, then over the next 2 months I had him he went slowly downhill. For the life of me I couldn't understand why until I found out they like temps around 70-72 and unless you can keep the tank colder then they will usually die Mine started getting faded colouring then blotchy patches over his skin then he started getting skinny then stopped eating all together and died, I definitely suspect he succumbed to a skin infection due to high temps. The first month I had him the tank stayed around 76 but when it started getting hotter and my house heated up and the tank hit 80-81 my BSJ went downhill after that.

Last edited by fishoholic; 08-16-2012 at 01:10 PM.