View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 09:53 PM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

Grats on the purchase, the cube looks really good.

Aaah, the LED's vs MHI debate... I don't have LED's and I'm currently shopping for a Radion then will have to get a second as my new tank which is 48" in length... there are a few very good and viable options for LED's out there and I have a feeling ecotech will drop their prices in the next few months as they are coming up to a year since release and other companies are coming up and releasing their LED's (not as customizable though)

The reasons for LED's are:
- lower power consumption (way lower than a equivalent light output MHI)
- LEDs produce very little heat compared to a MHI
- in most cases a Chiller is not needed
- LED's are very customizable in terms of color/intensity depending on the fixture and the better companies will offer different upgrades as the technology evolves
- no need to replace bulbs as the leds are rated for 5+ years(some say it should last 10+ years)... in my opinion this is a big advantage as a good MHI bulb is 50-75$... On my 75 i have a fixture running 2*50w T12 atinics and 2*175 SE bulbs and to replace all bulbs a year I'm looking at about 200$ including taxes...
Now if I add the power consumption in the equation I think every few years I can purchase a new LED fixture

I did a small calculation to run a Radion for 10hours a day @121W is roughly $40/year
Vs. a MHI 250w + 2*50W atinics for the same amount of time @ $90/year + $100(cost of bulbs) + $30/year(chiller power usage) = approx $220

To run a Radion in BC costs $40/year vs $220 to run a MHI + two atinics

On a 60gallon cube, I think you might be able to get away by using one good LED fixture and save yourself some money down the road as you will not have to upgrade to LED's and get rid of the MHI+ Chiller and lets not forget the heat which those produce.

If you dont have a fixture, I vote to save a bit and get a LED coral capable fixture and honestly I'd opt for a higher end fixture over the Coralife and other cheaper LED's or if you already have a light, then run with that and save for a good LED fixture once again. Just cant beat the low maintenance cost, power cost and most important the customization... if setup right some fixtures can be controlled from a smartphone

Here is an informative vid comparing the Radion VS MHI