View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 11:53 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Jorjef, automation is tha bomb, but it's definitely not a fail-safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Lastly I draw attention to my last request in the first post of this thread.
I wasn't offering advice (I know you don't like advice). I was just offering some ideas to those reading this thread.

I can't see how failing to refill a top off container could come to a situation as bad as the one you were dealt with though. The Tunze Osmolator quits pumping when it runs out of water, and the replacement pump is $30. If my sump runs out of water my Poseidon return pump will also quit operating. If the Poseidon happens to burn out I have a spare pump on hand with the appropriate plumbing fittings ready to go. The system is quite fine to run without the sump for a few days (the biggest consequence being no dosing), although the aquarium maintenance company would surely notice long before that. The company tested the tank for the "big three" weekly and reported to me if they were out of range for appropriate instructions on rectifying the problem.

There are always those things we just don't think about though, and those are the things that kick our butt and crash our tank. In your case, you didn't think about the repeated power outages. Who would? I've certainly never experienced such a thing.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 07-29-2012 at 12:06 AM.