Thread: Pond design
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

[quote=reefgirl189;732755]This is what I was looking for! How deep does it need to be to overwinter them. We are looking at a 15K to 20K gal total water volume so there's no way to overwinter the fish unless I put a swimming pool in the basement.

The only problem I'm having so far is placement of the pond. I don't have any suitable area with adequate shade and will probably have to build a structure to provide some relief from the sun. We're going to buy some trees but they won't be big enough in time to provide shade for the future pond.
QUOTE]

As far as placement goes it looks pretty flat and treeless so a 15-20K pond will have lots of evaporation and you will want an auto top off installed. Might want to consider that in your placement plans. I had a much smaller pond than you are planning and it involved topping up with a garden hose for an hour every week because I didn't install an auto top off as I didn't think evaporation would be as much as it was. A depth of 3' is recommended in Alberta for over wintering fish. I had small goldfish over wintered at this depth for three years without doing anything to the pond. Larger fish would probably need an air pump and a small floating heater to keep the gas exchange going in the winter. A pelican ate them all in the 4th year. Netting may also be required as I would think your proximity to Cold Lake would bring in plenty of fish loving fowl. As far as the pond itself goes there is not much to it, just make sure the top of the hole is level all the way around or it will be very noticable when the water is added.