View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 AM

lee9 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to lee9

I am using a Deltec MC500 skimmer in my RSM 250. I didn't use the original stock skimmer though so I don't have a comparison on the heat generated.

In theory it should generate less heat as the pump in the MC500 is only a 20 watt pump (I think). If you have the original Hydor skimmer pump it is a 50 watt pump. Therefore the larger pump should generate more heat. I thought I read that is why the replacement pump for the stock RSM 250 skimmer is now a lower wattage Sicce pump. Same goes for the circulation pumps. Are you still using the stock Hydro circulation pumps?

You could probably test it by turning off your skimmer for a day or two to see if the water temperature decreases.

There was a person on here selling a MC500 skimmer 6 months or so ago. Not sure if he still has it. Search the old threads if you haven’t already. I'll post the thread for you if I can find it.

Please post your results if you do any testing. I'm curious too. I am going to have to do something to cool mine a bit more if the temperature ever warms up outside. My apartment gets fairly warm in the summer.