View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM

Spyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-b View Post
I use the setup on the right with mine. I run carbon first gfo 2nd, I get a decent tumble on the carbon, and a slower flow through the gfo. When I notice everything slowing down I usually know its time to change the carbon. I will also test the phosphate level coming out of the reactor to determine if it's time to change both.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, I don't think you want your carbon to tumble at all. It should be held tight to prevent any tumbling because the particles are known to cause HLLE in Tangs.

I have a dual BRS unit. GFO first, then carbon. The problem is the carbon starts clumping and will slow down the flow. You just need to keep adjusting the valve to increase the flow quite frequently. This would hold true for option 2.

I would think the 1st option may be best. You can control the flow to each reactor then and not have to worry about how one affects the other. Not sure though if one begins clumping and causing some backflow, if it would increase the flow in the other reactor though. I would think it should be fine but just something to look out for.

Ideally, running a pump on each reactor is the best because it would be a better case of setting it and forgetting it. Although, this method costs more and is less energy efficient....