View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 03:16 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Well I think it was discussed to cover a 24x24 area properly with one sole you'd have to switch out the 40 degree lenses to 70 and lift them a little higher than 6-7", I think even manufacturer recommends 12". Plus it was a pipe dream if you ever thought 72W of LED can replace 400W of halide, I think basically you've downgraded to 250W halide equivalent which you can probably make do with but as you predict some SPS may loose color or at the very least take a while to adjust. Using radions instead wouldn't have produced better results either, their usable wattage is only slightly higher but produce better spread at the sacrifice of lower intensity.

All that said though, you should still be cautious using these lights with the stock lenses running 100% at 6-7". While it may not appear so, some areas are probably getting significantly more usable light than before and this sudden adjustment can have negative consequences. At the very least I think you should lift them up to get proper coverage and then lower them in increments if you find corals are suffering for too little light.