View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 01:24 AM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road
Default Possible Powerhead/Flow Issue? Help Please...

So my tank has been up and running for about 7 months. 55gallon system with 40 lbs of live rock, more to come in the near future.

I recently purchased a protein skimmer (Octopus BH-2000 hang on back) and 2 Hydor Koralia Powerheads (1050 gph each)

The powerheads are SOO powerful... Our cleaner shrimp cannot fight the current to crawl up on his rock...
Our 2 blue Chromis' are hiding in a cave in the rocks gasping vigorously...
We have had the powerheads turned off now for more than 24 hours but the Chromis' are still hiding and gasping

Could the chromis' be stressed from the powerheads? We have NOT assembled or attached the protein skimmer yet, just the powerheads. If the Chromis' are stressed, what can we do to help them? I am at a loss as we have already turned the powerheads off thinking this would help them but it doesn't seem to be doing much...

Another question is, is there a way to turn down the strength/velocity of the power heads to a lower flow? I didn't think they were controllable but maybe there is a way someone knows of to make it less intense...
And where should we be positioning the powerheads? This is how I currently have it set up but I have no idea if this is at all right:

http://i.imgur.com/D9wEH.png

I am getting the boyfriend to do water tests atm and I will update this post as soon as we determine all the parameters. The only test kits I don't have yet are calcium magnesium and alkalinity, they are coming in the mail.

Any recommendations on powerhead placement? Should we place them infront of rockwork to block some flow maybe? I don't know
I hope our Chromis' don't die they are our first fish and they look very sickly right now!!!