View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 05:30 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioload View Post
What did you gues use to protect the wood from moisture....looking for a sealer myself.
Two coats of MinWax mahogany stain on the outside, bare wood on the inside, although I did stick some aluminum tape along the lower portion of the inside to reflect some of the light, sideways I guess? Anyhow, the tape will provide a little protection from moisture. It's high enough above the water that I doubt moisture will be an issue. It's an open frame so good air circulation, moisture really can't accumulate like inside a canopy. My previous fixture's reflectors did get caked up with salt spray over the period of several years, but it was closer to the water. My LEDs are mounted on individual heatsinks each with it's own fan that blows air down, so the tiny spray drops that mucked up the reflectors on the Halides & T5s should be diverted. I'll be checking on that periodically to make sure it's not an issue, especially since I'm not using any optics over my LEDs.

Here's a photo taken a while back, but shows how open it is.

Last edited by mike31154; 05-12-2012 at 05:36 AM.