View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_gal View Post
I might be in the same position. My tank is only a 65 galon and I also have a tang. What will happen if I don't move it to a larger tank?
What kind of tang do you have and how big is it?
Tangs in a small tank may cause some serious issues. Every fish needs certain space as their territory. Tangs need a bigger territory than most other reef fish. If you keep them in a small tank, they may get aggressive toward their tank mates.
Tangs also like to swim. Not back and forth but in a straight line, fast. If you don't provide enough swimming room, you may not have a healthy tang down the road.
Tangs like to eat constantly. They have a shorter digest system therefore they produce a lot of waste which puts a lot of burden on a small tank.
All of the above will further stress your tangs. A stress fish will have lower immune system. I wonder if this has something to do with the perception of tangs are ich magnet because many people keep tangs in small tanks. I also notice a lot of tangs have HLLE in aquariums. Not sure any of the above has anything to do with it.
And finnaly it is probably just me. But I have a problem with how a big fish looks in a small tank, not tangs but any fish in general. It just looks cramp for a big fish in a small tank. In my 180 gal, I try to keep only fish that grow to 12" or less.