View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
A couple things to consider:

Base rock will become live, not much difference, it will still become biological.

Be careful what you see, many of these guys running small tanks have large tanks as well that they actually use to sustain them.

100% or very large water changes in a nano need to be done with caution, for example if you purchase a pail of salt and only mix up small amount at a time the levels will vary greatly each time. Large changes with inconsistent make up can be detrimental.

Use carbon with caution in nano tanks.

Personally I think you'll have better success with a large biological system that uses some sort of highly efficient bio media and water changes in the 50% range but never the less best of luck.

I totally understand your hesitation, and I have many concerns as well, but check out the link it's a cool concept. As for the carbon, there will only be a tiny amount in the filter. Any using the man made rock will hopefully reduce the amount of junk in the rock, since it's not as porous as real rock.

Again it's just an experiment, if it doesn't work I'll just remove everything and rethink the concept and try again.