Thread: Clowns Spawning
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

My Maroon pair have been spawning for some time now. I've often contemplated trying to raise a batch of fry, but haven't got around to getting all the necessary gear & food together. As mentioned in an earlier post, Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfishes, although a bit dated, is a great resource. From the info in her book, plus my readings on the net, I'm pretty sure you're going to need a separate breeding tank to have any chance of successfully raising the fry. Haven't heard of anyone being successful trying to breed them in the main tank using a floating breeder. You pretty well have to catch the larvae right after they hatch & move them into a separate breeding tank. A lot of phyto & rotifers are needed in the first week & that stuff will be too diluted in your main system as well as contaminating it with nutrients you don't really want in there.

In any case, best of luck. Generally once a pair starts breeding you'll see a new batch of eggs a few days to a week after the previous cluster hatches. They also get better at the process & more eggs make it through the 7 day cycle to hatch. Keep trying to have them lay the eggs on a removable tile or something. This makes it much easier to capture the larvae when they hatch than trying to siphon them out. They generally hatch after lights out on the 7th day. If you keep tabs on when they lay down the clutch, you can remove the tile with eggs on the night of the 7th day, or the day before & move it into a grow out tank. That way you get all the larvae without much hassle.

Sick Lid in Kamloops has quite a successful breeding operation going. He'd be a great resource for advice.

Last edited by mike31154; 03-28-2012 at 03:49 PM.