View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 08:55 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Has anyone opened up an Icecap ballast, are they encased with epoxy?

Just curious, because I'm curious whether epoxy filled e-ballasts are truly "repairable."

I fried an electronic ballast last night (wow ... there goes $160 down the drain) because there appears to have been a short in the light fixture. Ballast says "do not connect lamp leads to ground." Boy, I'm soo glad my fixture was grounded then. It's not an Icecap ballast, it's some brand called "Reliable" (I think it's a HelloLights thing that they built for premiumaquatics.com). I peeked inside to see if it was a blown fuse or something and the circuit board is covered in this shiny black goo (which I assume to be epoxy). Which makes me suspect I just threw $160 into the toilet and flushed it, because I have no idea how you're supposed to pull out a blown transitor (or whatever those little electronic thingies are) and replace it (let alone diagnose/identify the blown component).

So anyhow, I'm curious if these things can be repaired, because, ... well, $160. (grumble). (More accurately, "$100 USD at last year's dollar conversion" ..)

I have no contact info for "Reliable." Trying to do a seach on "reliable electronic" is a nightmare. "Reliable" is a LOUSY search term!!! (grumble).

(sigh)