View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 AM
Vendor

Blue World Aquariums is on a distinguished road

Very nice, small, LED pendant

by Dan
Great

Posted: 11/29/2011 from Palo Alto, CA Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: I was an early adopter of T5 lighting, and then of LED's. I have used the Orphek, the Ecoxotic Panorama, and now the Kessil A150W. The Kessil was an experiment for me, and in my case, a failure ;-) They appear very well made, and were very well packaged. They are small (smaller than a coke can - about the size of the little 8 oz. ones), and their power supply is also small. The choice of spectrum is delightful (I tried the 10k and the 15k) - but be aware that the 15k is very blue. The 10k looks great to me. I really like the fact that Kessil cares that the light output be matched to the needs of the corals - something that some other companies don't seem to get. My issues were: 1) I just don't like point light sources. These are like a single MH bulb - all the light comes from one place. If you like that, great - but I prefer the spread out light that you get from T5's or the Ecoxotic. 2) The Kessil's are, well, ugly. The power cords are very thick (10mm?). The stalks of the Kessil mounting arms are thick (15mm?). If you wrap the cords around the stalks, you get a black thing about 1" wide arc'ing over your tank - one per light. If I could hide these things in some kind of a hood - none of this would matter, but over my rimless euro style tank - they didn't pass the wife's aesthetic test. Exec summary - great light if used in the right way by someone who likes the look of a MH bulb (point source) light.

1 of 3 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Sweet!

by TIM
Excellent!

Posted: 10/28/2011 from UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: I bought 2, 10k Sky Blues to go over my 40 breeder reef. The light output looks like a 12k to my eye. Shimmer on these units is something you must see in person. Small size (can of coke) is great. Fan inside is almost silent. If you have a smaller reef i would recommend.

3 of 3 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Kessil lights

by TOM WAARDENBURG
Excellent!

Posted: 10/3/2011 from Wellington, FL UNITED STATES Experience Level: Expert

Comments: I purchased 2 of the sky blue and 2 of the ocean blue to try on my tank. The tank is 72" x 36" x 30"H which includes both fish and corals (SPS & LPS). My goal was to replace 2 MH 400 w each after a ballast fire. The idea of LED to replace MH seems rediculous to me but a friend suggested I try it. If I had a do over, it would be all sky blue lights. I am adding 2 more sky blues which will give me a total of 6 but my corals are all responding fine with the 4 lights. I just want it brighter but figure out the energy saving not to mention constant battle of heat impacting the water from the MH lights. There is ZERO heat effect on the water. I am sold and will be adding additional to the 90 gal refugium also.

11 of 13 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

simply amazing

by MATTHEW LAPER
Excellent!

Posted: 10/2/2011 from PARDEEVILLE, WI UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: I was skeptical at first, but coral seems to respond well. I have one 10k and one 15k it combines for a great color. I plan on buying 4 more for my 125gal. For a total of 6. The shimmer and color is amazing. Even the color of the fish pop much more then my halides. This company has been I business longer then many of the others and that's why I bought from these guys.

1 of 1 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

AWESOME

by JOEL SIEBER
Excellent!

Posted: 9/26/2011 from APPLETON, WI UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: LOVE these lights, my coral love them, and the shimmering effect is priceless! bought these to start up a solid SPS tank, and my SPS are loving it full polyp extension!! No heat, much brighter then T-5's Halides, so far so good!! will post a review in the next couple of months on progress of grown, if anyone has a par measurement that would be awesome!