View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 05:59 AM
Vendor

Blue World Aquariums is on a distinguished road

Must Buy!

by STEVE MCCARTHA
Excellent!

Posted: 12/29/2011 from CA Experience Level: Expert

Comments: I have a 137G 60/24/22 Custom Reef Tank. My buddy had a Kessil and Let me run Par tests on, I was Shocked with the results. 50 Par on the Bottom and 400 on Top. Kessil Recommends 5-6 for full coverage, ended up going with Three of the 10Ks. The 10K was a Little too White for me so I added 4 Reefbrite Strips, 2 50/50 and 2 Solid Blue. I love the Color now. Par is 100 on Bottom and 400 top with everything running. The Kessils are Super Quite. Also very Easy to set up a Sunrise and Sunset with a Controller. Most Important, The Color Septrum is Correct. I did a Ton of Reseach and Tests, Kessil is the Best light for the Money! Must Buy

4 of 5 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

the little light that could

by JEFF HILL
Excellent!

Posted: 12/19/2011 from GREENVILLE, MI UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: love them. small, compact, bright.makes my tank explode with color. i think the coral and fish love them too!!!.

3 of 3 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Nice LED lights

by ROCKY BAIR
Excellent!

Posted: 12/9/2011 from PUYALLUP, WA UNITED STATES Experience Level: Expert

Comments: These light will work great for certain applications. I have a shallow tank (about 14" of water depth) and they work great for me, but might cast a "shaddow effect" on deeper tanks. I couldn't find too much info on these lights before I purchased them, so I put a couple of video reviews on youtube regarding them. These replaced 2 400w metal halides. I needed 3 of these lights to cover a 72" tank. They do seem much dimmer than the halides but the shimmer is increadible and the power savings are astonishing! They are quiet and look pretty cool. As always, the website folks were a pleasure to do business with. Thanks!

2 of 2 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Kessil 150W Ocean Blue

by W. GRAHAM
Great

Posted: 12/6/2011 from LAKEWOOD, NJ UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: I was hesitant to buy this light because of the price but after using it for almost three weeks I would recommend it. Pros: 1)Good, solid construction. 2)Quiet but not silent. You can hear the cooling fan inside when it is in use if you are close to the light. 3)Small size. It is about the size of a beer can. 4)"Lightweight". It looks heavier than it is but it weighs, in my opnion, a little more than a full can of beer. 5)The gooseneck attachment is solid, not cheap like some clip-on lights. It is also flexible. The gooseneck attachment comes with hanging clips so you can hang the light from the ceiling. I would buy stronger clips. 6)Stays cool. A BIG plus for me. Cons: 1)Price. Remember, this is a LED light and once it burns out you can not replace the bulb. 2)Brightness. One light should be good for a tank of no more than 20 gallons and if you have a deep tank then this light, in my opinion, will not work for you. Small tank or shallow tank. If you have a tank that is more than 20 gallons I would HIGHLY recommend using two lights. 3)It's a LED light. See #1. 4)No on/off switch. I use a dimmer switch to turn it off. $12.95 at Target. 5)Light intensity can not be adjusted even with a dimmer switch attachemnt. SUCKS! 5)Gooseneck attachment is sold separately. For $300 it should be included with the light because without the gooseneck attachment you can not mount the light onto your tank. Well, I hope this unbias review helps. I reviewed this light for a week before I bought it because I did not want to pay $300 bucks for a garbage light and could not afford $600 plus for a metal halide light. If this light came with the gooseneck attachment I would have given it 5 stars. In my opinion, if you can wait until the price drops to around $200 then it would be a very good buy. Right now, it's a 4 star buy because it's a good quality light, no one makes this type of light and it's a Kessil, which makes quality lighting.

6 of 10 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Flexible, Focused and Powerful

by EUGENE SANCHEZ
Great

Posted: 12/2/2011 from CERRITOS, CA UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: The Kessils are very unique, most LED's in this price range under $300 seem too bland and diffused. However, the Kessils are extremely focused and brilliant. Some might not like its tight intensity, but i find it stunning and natural to actual light like snorkeling. Its spot like effect allows for some staging of creative light, you can really see the streams and ripples of light. As for it's cons, if you use the gooseneck clamp, it may take a long time to find a nice sweet spot to shine just right. The clamp is very strong be very careful using two hands to bend and position the light, you can crack your tank glass or snap the light's joint. Also if the water surface is too turbulent, the ripple effect can be very rapid and dizzying. These LED's strength/ price are fairly reasonable hopefully next year they would be $179 or when the 250w equivalents come out.