View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reefer View Post
A light fixture on a 60" tank will be one of the most expensive accessories you will buy, choose wisely because even in used they are hard to sell in that size(should you ever want to sell).

I thought maybe you could go modular LED's like the ReefBrights but you are still looking at over $325 per 60" strip and you will need minimum 2. You next best bet would be T5's, maybe something like the 60 Inch 4x54 Watt AquaticLife, comes with bulbs. You'll be looking at about $550 + taxes and shipping (a 60" will be pricey on the shipping as well). We have these on backorder

Good luck with your purchase
Ray
thats all fine and dandy but my tank is 6ft not 60" which is 5ft I am looking for a 72" fixture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
Hey there, as you know I have 2X 250W MH, with 2 5ft T5HO's

I would recommend doing what Myka has, using 2X 250W MH (3 if you really want lighting), and supplementing with some T5, then you can customize the actual lighting to your needs, and also get the benefits of the MH, like the shimmer.

I think key would be using good ballasts, and of course with good bulbs. Build your own fixture. I have seen many built, some ugly, but they do a great job of growing coral and lighting the tank nice. Just my 2 cents.

There are some good fixtures for sale all the time, you can also keep your eyes out for the deals.
Yes after seeing your tank I want MH and probably 3 x 250W which is why im thinking maybe go with an ebay fixture and upgrade the bulbs to start then ballasts when I see fit.