View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

I have owned several different leds fixtures including a pacific sun unit. I am strong beliver on leds as I believe they are the future of reef keeping. I am currently running AI sol units on my sps dominate tank with great success. All the sps has displayed tremdously amount of growth and coloration due to a higher par reading that AI has compare to most other units or fixtures. I am running them on an identical schedule compare to my 250w metal halides with the exception of ramping up and down during sunrise and sunset. Its like I am running 400W MH(the 400 was used on the my tank prior to 250s)without any of the excess heat and electricity cost. It's like I got the best of both worlds. If I was asked to rate the performance of one AI, I would tell you that 1 AI sol unit has the intensity equal to a 400W MH with the coverage 12"X24" area, and if you are looking to grow sps coral with good coloration that won't break the bank, my friends this is the light for you.

Going through this thread, it was almost humorous to hear some of the arguments people are making. You need 2 AIs to 1 radions for coverage. I for one can tell you that's bull$***. Comparing par rating one would almost think you will need 2 radion to 1 AI instead. Don;'t get me wrong, I do like the radion's added benefits with wireless control being on the top of the list, but the radion is designed to replicate radium 250 metal halides bulbs which would make it less intense and the only reason it has better coverage is because it doesn't use any lens which makes them a 120 degrees spread compare to 70 degrees on the AIs.

Bottom line for me will always be as long as the fixture can grow sps coral that's all it matters to me! I have seen many sps tanks using AI's with great success(search reef central for more reference) which reinforced my decision on the purchase, plus not to mention all the saving I got which I can use towards other stuff for the tank.

Talk is cheap so if anyone wants to argue please show me some pictures of your tank with radion running before you start. A picture speaks a thousand words.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013