Thread: Kony 2012
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
It is up to the individual, but please make it an informed choice.

Again, I say, read the link. It won't take the 30 minutes that watching the video will, and it should arm you enough to fully consider things before committing to any action.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

Here is a good quote from there:

"Military intervention may or may not be the right idea, but people supporting KONY 2012 probably don’t realize they’re supporting the Ugandan military who are themselves raping and looting away. If people know this and still support Invisible Children because they feel it’s the best solution based on their knowledge and research, I have no issue with that. But I don’t think most people are in that position, and that’s a problem.

Is awareness good? Yes. But these problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow. Giving your money and public support to Invisible Children so they can spend it on supporting ill-advised violent intervention and movie #12 isn’t helping. Do I have a better answer? No, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean that you should support KONY 2012 just because it’s something. Something isn’t always better than nothing. Sometimes it’s worse.

If you want to write to your Member of Parliament or your Senator or the President or the Prime Minister, by all means, go ahead. If you want to post about Joseph Kony’s crimes on Facebook, go ahead. But let’s keep it about Joseph Kony, not KONY 2012."
Very valid points Tony, but you gotta start somewhere. And it isn't like you can give evil a big hug, and make it all better. Sorry to say, but it sometimes takes killing to stop the killing.

I do disagree that we the people cannot make change utilizing technology, etc... Look at many of the worlds countries, using such technologies to gather and revolt, to overthrough there dictorships for the better good of their people. This past year or so has been a busy one, many changes happening on the other side of the globe. Do you think this would of happened 30 years ago? Maybe... but I am sure technologies, the ability and ease to speak to masses, the WWW have greatly played a part with today's changes. Better or worse.

HEHE.... not trying to debate with you buddy, I really do see your point and hope others do also. Stepping down off the soap box now.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk

Last edited by globaldesigns; 03-07-2012 at 09:17 PM.