View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 PM

Faithinc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefOcean View Post
You should consider using a buddle magus skimmer. More bang for the buck.

Also, ever since installing a beananimal overflow I will promote it whenever I can. It is quiet and extremely safe.

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx

it would involve drilling another hole. Basically, you have 3 holes at the same level. One is used as a siphon, one is open to air and is used for any remaining water and one for emergencies. You set the siphoning pipe with a ball/gate valve so that the second overflow is only taking in 5-10 percent of the water. This creates a silent (and I mean silent, my return pump is louder) overflow with no loud gurgling. In case one pipe gets clogged, you have the back-up pipe.

If you consider doing this, I would be happy to help.
I've read the Beananimal style of drainage...and I understand most of it--however, I would need to essentially re-design the tank including re-drilling the holes, which I don't really have the equipment for. Right now I've got a plastic wall sectioning off the back right corner of the tank (about 15% of the tank) that goes from top to bottom. I'd need to remove that, drill the hole, built a 3" drainage box for the top to be able to use Beananimals methods.... is it really worth it? Especially on my first saltwater tank?