View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I love my OM 4 Way which is fed from a Reeflo Dart on my 120gal. 2" into the pump, 1-1/2" out into the 4 Way and then four 1" returns. Its been running problem free and dead silent for several years. The back pressure/ head loss of it is no different than that of a T fitting.

I don't like the idea of having large aquarium pumps or even cheep power heads switching on and off constantly. I know Danner Mag Drives handle this poorly as I've wreaked a number of impellers this way. I've wreaked quite a few maxi jet impellers by switching them on and off too. Perhaps the higher quality pumps would handle it better but I'd do some more research.

I've always personally believed that LPS should have no less than 20x turnover. There are at least a dozen different LPS with 30x to 60x turnover around them in my system and they all appear to be doing great. Except for those that were preyed upon by my fish... There are plenty of pictures for proof in my Tank Journal.

Obviously I'm also very pro closed loop. Big ugly power heads stuck to the glass ruin a display in my opinion. Especially when they become plugged up with algae and debris. Yes the electricity consumption of a big pump sucks but I feel that its worth it.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour