View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

50 gallon tank wont need a eurobrace unless you are using really thin glass.

you can get away with running NO skimmer if you just do weekly water changes (15%) and keep a softies tank. If you start getting into sensitive SPS and large bio loads then you will need a skimmer for sure.

I've seen some AMAZING skimmer-less tanks and it comes down to the attitude of the owner - nothing else. You have to exercise some self restraint and not be a lazy. If you find yourself procrastinating to do things in your regular day to day life then you will do the same with the tank. I am a lazy **** so a skimmerless tank would be a disaster for me. If you are like my wife - well organized/keep to a schedule - then a skimmerless tank will be as beautiful as the rest. Be smart - dont over stock the tank and be sure to have a well rounded clean up crew.

look into the AC 110 filter with a upgraded media basket from mediabaskets.com. It can hold a tunze skimmer in the filter itself! Load up the trays with some chemi pure elite and purigen and you should be good to go.

The 6105 is alot of flow for such a small tank and its very directional - you wont get flow throughout the tank which ideal. You may want to look at getting a 6095 and maybe a tunze nano wavebox. Good thing about the wave box is it comes with a slave port for a second controllable powerhead so you dont need to buy an additional controller.