View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 PM

CherylMcKay is on a distinguished road
Default Cheryl's 165 Gallon upgrade

I have had a 75 G for a few years and I was doing really well until I replaced the sump, which entailed a move of the livestock and the tank.... I didn't replace the sand. I have been fighting with it for over a year now to try and get it back in balance....

So I have been hemming and hawing about how to start again, so I can do it properly. Well, I have just purchased my replacement tank... It is 165 Gallon (72X24x20). I won't actually get it until May sometime and we will build the stand for it ourselves.

This will be a long build as, I have decided that I am going to get everything I need before I start and as I live where there is no LFS... It will all be trips out and mail order.

I am working on my equipment list and it is slow going....

I know I have to replace my skimmer, but trying to decide which one is the better is not easy. The price range is amazing as well. I currently have a Vertex 80 and I have no real complaints about that brand. But why would similarly sized protein skimmers range in price from 350 - 1600 dollars. I haven't found a whole lot on the diffrence between them but crap are the Bubble Kings ever expensive and I really don't know if it is just brand name or they are better quality.

I have a 48" T5 Tek Light which I love. 6 bulbs, I can't remember the wattage. I will keep it but I am trying to decide whether to have 2 LED pendants or 2 Halides at either end.

I am also trying to decide if I can talk my husband into giving up a corner of his office for the sump to be in the basement.... I don't think I will be totally successful with that, so I have to make sure everything is quiet enough and fits under the cabinet.

I would love any advice I can get as I am far away from person to person contact in the saltwater community... feeling isolated I guess. Feel like a newbie all over again.

Last edited by CherylMcKay; 02-19-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added picture