View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 05:19 AM

Llewos is on a distinguished road

Its a good bet that the 3rd fish added (4 1/2") is female. That's a pretty good size for a clarkii. The bigger the clownfish, usually means female because the fish basically adds hormones/chromosomes to change the sex and grows. I'm assuming they are all clarkii's. Question: how long were the other 2 together? Had they ever spawned? If they hadn't and it wasn't very long, they could still be in a process of changing genders. If one had changed to female, and you added another, yes they will just fight, its just competition. Most my experience is with Perc's and Ocellaris's but i did have five ocellaris together, however there was also 3 BTA's in the tank which seperated them. 1 female for sure that paired. 2 Juvenile's paired and one Juvie just kind of hung around but there wasn't much chasing or fighting. guess i was lucky. If you just have one clownfish, there is no competition so it is the dominant fish, so it will eventually change sex, however it takes a little more time to go through the process. Everyone else is right on juvenile to male to female, but never backwards. sorry for the novel! hope it helps.